• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Potential Employer find my W2 Income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rjm067

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

I've 2 questions. Would appreciate your answers.

1. I'm in between jobs. Can potential employers find the income on my 2001 W2. I've given a wrong number to a recruiter who has mentioned my W2 income in my resume package to the employer. I realized my mistake and I'm concerned now. What should I do. I'm waiting for the interviews.

2. I didn't disclose while applying to a new job that I'm between jobs, as I felt it makes finding the job even more difficult, however I resigned myself. I've an understanding with my last employer that if somebody calls for my refernece then they will say that I'm still with them
My question is can the potential employer find that I'm no longer with my last employer through any other means like background check etc.?

Please help.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1. It's highly unlikely that they will be able to get the exact dollar figure off your W-2. So if we're talking about the difference between $32,400 and $32,450 or something like that, forget about it. But if we're talking about the difference between $32,000 and $42,000, contact the recruiter and correct the mistake. While they won't be able to access your W-2, it's quite possible that they'll verify salary.

2. If your former employer has agreed to say that you're still with them, a prospective employer will probably not find out any differently. But it is NOT impossible. It could slip by as simple a method of a back-up receptionist not being told. I know this is commonly practiced in some fields and I know there is a myth that you can more easily find a job if you're still employed. But you are much better off telling the truth. Keep in mind that if an employer finds out that you lied about this after you are hired, he could conceivably fire you for including false information on your application. I do not recommend that you follow this route.

Beth3

You have misrepresented two major things - your compensation and your employment status. The question is if you are hired and your new employer subsequently finds out the truth about either, do you want to run the risk of being terminated for falsifying information?

Many employers will terminate immediately if such things come to light as they believe an individual who lied during the recruiting process is not trustworthy and they don't wish to have him/her on the payroll. What you may view as a couple of "fibs" at present may have very significant consequences down the road. And of course if this does happen, you'll have an even harder time finding the next job when you have to explain why you lost the last one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">