• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can retailer charge more in store than internet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jay968

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

If a retailer lists the price of an item on their website, can they legally charge a higher price in their store for the same item?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

If a retailer lists the price of an item on their website, can they legally charge a higher price in their store for the same item?
Hellloooo, are you new to America? Capitalism? corporatism?

Jay968

Hellloooo, are you new to America? Capitalism? corporatism?
HUH? What are you talking about?

I have seen signs in stores which state "you are entitled to the lowest price offered by this establishment" yet when asked to match their own web price, they say they cannot do so. Is this legal?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The only time it would be improper if the internet price was an advertisement for shopping in the store. If it was just the internet sale vs. the store sale, there's no expectation that the prices would be the same.

Every place that has lowest price guarantees isn't automatic, you've got to bring them tangible proof that the price is different elsewhere. And yes, sometimes that's their own website. I've done that at Northern Tools and they honored it.

racer72

Circuit City was notorious for this before they shut their doors. Fry's Electronics also does it, in fact, they state their retail store and internet sales are two different companies and actually compete with each other for sales.

callie212

Walmart

There are 2 Wal-Mart Supercenters near me. Their prices are often different than one another, even though their stores are less than 10 miles apart. I'm sure their online price is different too. They can charge whatever they want. Online sales are typically lower because the stores know that shipping is involved and need to lower the price a bit (or free ship) to help convince the customer to shop online.

racer72

There are 2 Wal-Mart Supercenters near me. Their prices are often different than one another, even though their stores are less than 10 miles apart. I'm sure their online price is different too. They can charge whatever they want. Online sales are typically lower because the stores know that shipping is involved and need to lower the price a bit (or free ship) to help convince the customer to shop online.
Walmart stores will honor the online price if you bring in a printout showing the product. I have done this a couple of times.

The_Saint

I think the OP is confused with those price matching local competitors. As it has been said, a store a few miles apart can have different prices.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">