• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can she refuse.??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cottonball14

In Illinois, can a mother refuse to give the child's father the child's social security number if neither has full custody.?

My fiancé needs his daughters social security number for medical purposes and the mother refuses to give him it. Can she do this if neither has full custody of the child and both sees her equal amount of time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In Illinois, can a mother refuse to give the child's father the child's social security number if neither has full custody.?

My fiancé needs his daughters social security number for medical purposes and the mother refuses to give him it. Can she do this if neither has full custody of the child and both sees her equal amount of time.
Yes.

If your boyfriend has additional questions, please suggest to him to log on and ask. Thank you.

LdiJ

First, in IL an unwed mother has sole custody until a court says otherwise. So, if your fiancé has not established his custody rights in court he should do so.
Of course mom can refuse to give him the child's SSN. If he wants it, he needs to take his copy of the birth certificate and march on down to the nearest SS Office and get his own copy. If he is not on the birth certificate then he needs to file to establish paternity.

On the off chance that you are deliberately playing games about his reason for wanting the number...the IRS has its own definition of custodial parent that has nothing to do with court orders and everything to do with where the child sleeps most nights. If he doesn't meat the IRS's definition of custodial parent he doesn't get to claim the child, PERIOD, unless mom releases the exemption to him by signing form 8332.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
On the off chance that you are deliberately playing games about his reason for wanting the number...the IRS has its own definition of custodial parent that has nothing to do with court orders and everything to do with where the child sleeps most nights. If he doesn't meat the IRS's definition of custodial parent he doesn't get to claim the child, PERIOD, unless mom releases the exemption to him by signing form 8332.
Ding ding ding!

:cool:

Just Blue

Is there a VERY good reason that the legal party can't post for himself?:confused:

Cottonball14

I'm writing on his behalf because he told me too, he has no clue how to work anything like this. He doesn't want her social for taxes, he already filed them. He needs her social for his health insurance company. The baby doesn't have insurance and he's the one paying out of pocket for her medical expenses because the mother isn't working and the baby has his last name.

LdiJ

I'm writing on his behalf because he told me too, he has no clue how to work anything like this. He doesn't want her social for taxes, he already filed them. He needs her social for his health insurance company. The baby doesn't have insurance and he's the one paying out of pocket for her medical expenses because the mother isn't working and the baby has his last name.
Then, like I said, tell him to take his copy of the birth certificate and head on down to the nearest Social Security office and get his own copy of her SSN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">