• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone answer this for me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EllaBlue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

I live in an apartment complex. I have posted a question here before and I want to thank every one that answered. It was very helpful.

We have a neighbor here that is literally writing down what other tenants do and bringing the list to the maintainence person who then takes the information to the apartment manager. She is keeping tabs on how often our grandkids visit (others may remember we have rules for this) AND now she is keeping tabs on who we have for company?????????????????? I think she loves this really, but to be honest I am feeling stalked.

Can anyone tell me if I have a legal recourse? Can people watch you that closely ALL of the time and actually write down what you are doing and report that? Gee if some guy did that to an ex girlfriend he would get arrested for stalking! I really find this creepy!!!!!

Thank you ahead of time for ANY insight into what may be a legal avenue for me or for what you may do.
EllaBlue

justalayman

Can anyone tell me if I have a legal recourse?
most likely not.

Can people watch you that closely ALL of the time and actually write down what you are doing and report that?
generally, yes.

Gee if some guy did that to an ex girlfriend he would get arrested for stalking!
very possibly. The situation makes a world of difference.

I really find this creepy!!!!!
It's at least very nosey.

Unless this person does something to you, you most likely have no recourse. You described the job of a PI or a gate keeper in a gated community so there are actually people that get paid to do what this person is doing.

EllaBlue

Thank you. This is actually just another tenant with some kind of mental issues. She has her meltdowns about once a week. BUT she loves doing this for the management for some unGodly reason.

I think I will confront her. IF she is going to watch me, then I am going to let her know that I know. And God help her if I get accused of doing something that I am not doing. And by that I don't mean anything illegal. I don't need her ramping up her "opinion" on how often my grandchild visits.

I find this very discerning. And I find it more than creepy.

I really do appreciate your feedback. I think I may still consult a lawyer. Maybe there is a little legality in there somewhere that says she needs to back off. I know I am at least entitled to discovery if she makes up any accusations. We have a right to know who our accusors are I do believe in my state.....

It felt good to at least vent about this.
So much for our freedom

Silverplum

Thank you. This is actually just another tenant with some kind of mental issues. She has her meltdowns about once a week. BUT she loves doing this for the management for some unGodly reason.

I think I will confront her. IF she is going to watch me, then I am going to let her know that I know. And God help her if I get accused of doing something that I am not doing. And by that I don't mean anything illegal. I don't need her ramping up her "opinion" on how often my grandchild visits.

I find this very discerning. And I find it more than creepy.

I really do appreciate your feedback. I think I may still consult a lawyer. Maybe there is a little legality in there somewhere that says she needs to back off. I know I am at least entitled to discovery if she makes up any accusations. We have a right to know who our accusors are I do believe in my state.....

It felt good to at least vent about this.
So much for our freedom
Her freedom? Or yours?

She's not inhibiting your freedom. She's just watching you (and others) because she's sad and weird. And she is FREE to do so. You are FREE to ignore her.

Making friends with her is your BEST bet to solve the problem.

But if you want to complain about FREEDOM, it's YOU who is trying to tromp down hers.

EllaBlue

Sadly she has reported things about other tenants that were not true or at the very least exaggerated.

I spoke with a parallegal this morning who is consulting with the attorney in the lawfirm and they are going to get back to me. The gal agreed that this should not be done. If there were no harmful results from this, and she was just doing something for her own kicks as sick as that is.....well...."maybe"
But when it could cause someone to get a warning letter from management which has happened when this girl added her own twist on things...well, that is unfair.

Heresay should not be taken seriously by management from another tenant. Let's say she does not like you? I don't want to make friends with someone crazy. What kind of a friendship would that be? And would it be trustworthy? I think not.

My momma used to say you are the company you keep. I cannot afford that reputation.

Thank you though for your thoughts.
I am going to go down the "legal" avenue..Just maybe I do have a leg to stand on, and I will let you know.

Ella

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">