• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone be commissioner & prosecutor on same case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpinWA1

What is the name of your state? Washington state

Can someone be a prosecutor commissioner of the same case? I have a hearing to contest a ticket in a few days and have decided to seek legal help to do it. I reached out to a few local attorneys and one I spoke to today looked up my case info and told me that I won't be able to win. I asked why, he said based on the who is sustaining the case, she has a soft spot for prosecutors & law enforcement, she was a prosecutor not long ago.. He then mentioned that she's the 'second prosecutor' on my case.. So she's both a prosecutor AND the commissioner deciding my case? That seems HUGELY biased & unfair - is this legally acceptable, or could it be considered a conflict of interest? Please, if anyone knows about this, please let me know, I would be grateful! Thanks

HelpinWA1

The attorney you spoke to seems to have offered you odds on your success. Sounds grim.

Here is a link to the law:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=2.24&full=true

Thanks for your response. I do take into consideration what the attorney I spoke to has said, but at the same time, that's just the advice from one attorney. I figured it was worth asking around a bit. From what i can tell, what you linked me to is regarding criminal cases. Because mine is a traffic ticket and is civil, does that change anything or does the same apply regardless of whether it's civil or criminal?

quincy

Thanks for your response. I do take into consideration what the attorney I spoke to has said, but at the same time, that's just the advice from one attorney. I figured it was worth asking around a bit. From what i can tell, what you linked me to is regarding criminal cases. Because mine is a traffic ticket and is civil, does that change anything or does the same apply regardless of whether it's civil or criminal?
Probably not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">