• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone be sued over life insurance???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chatw23

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

My Best Friend Claimed a Life Insurance Policy on His Wife after a tragic car accident in which she was killed. He is the beneficiary and has 1 child with her and she had another child from a previous marriage. The Life insurance money is set aside for later use in life and he has set Aside an amount for her other child, for her college education. He has come to find out that her side of the family is upset that he hasn't given the other child anything from the Life Insurance Policy and does not know his true intentions of giving her that College money when she becomes of age. The families don't get along at all becuase they blame him for her death.

They are thinking of Suing Him for some of the money. Is it possible for them to sue him?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If hubby was the only beneficiary of the insurance policy, then he is not required to give any of it to anyone else. But, he can be sued by anyone for anything. That doesn't mean they will win though.

moburkes

Yes, unfortunately they are stupid. It is nice of you to set aside that money. It is the right thing to do, but it is not required. This is not a lawsuit that I would expect them to win.

Now, make sure that you get a good life insurance policy on yourself.

Betty

The proceeds of a life insurance policy go to the beneficiary named in the policy to do with as they wish. Life ins. proceeds are not part of the estate unless estate is named bene. They can sue like the other posters indicated but I don't see how they can win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">