• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone gift me a large amount of money to spend on my mother without my mother losing public benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

You quoted from an article on "thenest" by a creative writer with a degree in communications that worked in lending. That's not exactly something I'd use to back up a claim.

I'll accept his link to the ffiec. I just need him to quote the section that pertains to REPORTING $3,000+ wires.
Well I’ll let you look for that since it is truly irrelevent to this thread and regardless of,your claim you can’t prove a negative, in essence you can. You can prove what must be reported and if that doesn’t include wire transfers over $3,000, then I’m wrong.

It wouldn’t be the first time. Won’t be the last. I can handle it.

quincy

You quoted from an article on "thenest" by a creative writer with a degree in communications that worked in lending. That's not exactly something I'd use to back up a claim.

I'll accept his link to the ffiec. I just need him to quote the section that pertains to REPORTING $3,000+ wires.
You just requested "a source." I gave you one. :)

Sorry you did not find it authoritative enough. Try this, 31 CFR 1010.410. See (f) and take from it what you will.

https://www.law.cornell.edu//cfr/text/31/1010.410

Last edited:

Chyvan

You mean this:

(f) Any transmittor's financial institution or intermediary financial institution located within the United States shall include in any transmittal order for a transmittal of funds in the amount of $3,000 or more, information as required in this paragraph (f):
(1) A transmittor's financial institution shall include in a transmittal order, at the time it is sent to a receiving financial institution, the following information:
(i) The name and, if the payment is ordered from an account, the account number of the transmittor;
(ii) The address of the transmittor, except for a transmittal order through Fedwire until such time as the bank that sends the order to the Federal Reserve Bank completes its conversion to the expanded Fedwire format;
(iii) The amount of the transmittal order;
(iv) The execution date of the transmittal order;
(v) The identity of the recipient's financial institution;
(vi) As many of the following items as are received with the transmittal order: 2

That's all under "§ 1010.410 Records to be made and retained by financial institutions" that says nothing about reporting anything to anyone.

quincy

You mean this:

(f) Any transmittor's financial institution or intermediary financial institution located within the United States shall include in any transmittal order for a transmittal of funds in the amount of $3,000 or more, information as required in this paragraph (f):
(1) A transmittor's financial institution shall include in a transmittal order, at the time it is sent to a receiving financial institution, the following information:
(i) The name and, if the payment is ordered from an account, the account number of the transmittor;
(ii) The address of the transmittor, except for a transmittal order through Fedwire until such time as the bank that sends the order to the Federal Reserve Bank completes its conversion to the expanded Fedwire format;
(iii) The amount of the transmittal order;
(iv) The execution date of the transmittal order;
(v) The identity of the recipient's financial institution;
(vi) As many of the following items as are received with the transmittal order: 2

That's all under "§ 1010.410 Records to be made and retained by financial institutions" that says nothing about reporting anything to anyone.
How do you define "transmittal order?" What is being transmitted?

Are you seeing transmitting as "collecting and retaining?"

Last edited:

Chyvan

A transmittal order is what creates the wire transfer. You have to do a transmittal order if it was for a $1 or the money isn't going to move. All this requires is that if the transmittal is for $3,000 or more that all those elements must be present.

quincy

A transmittal order is what creates the wire transfer. You have to do a transmittal order if it was for a $1 or the money isn't going to move. All this requires is that if the transmittal is for $3,000 or more that all those elements must be present.
And your contention is that no report needs to be made for wire transfers of $3000+?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">