• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can spouse be held responsible for lease signed in my name only during marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amcpyo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY (New York City)

I'm in the process of getting divorced--we are filling out papers but nothing has been filed yet, so I'm legally married.

If one of us goes out and signs an apartment lease individually while we are still married, can the other one be held responsible for it?

We are on very good terms and I would never, ever stick him with something like that. I'm just trying to rent an apartment that I am barely qualified for (NYC landlords typically require proof that your annual income is at least 40x the monthly rent; I make just under that but am scheduled for a raise soon but have no way to prove that). Last year's taxes were filed jointly so my tax return has the combined income of me and the ex, which qualifies me several times over. I'm just looking for ammo to convince the landlord that they should let me rent the apartment.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">