• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can student loans been discharged in bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a PHD and a few grad degrees that basically helped me get a 50k a year job. My student loans are well over 100k and my monthly payment is $1800. Can student loans be discharged with bankruptcy? I’m 48 years old and I fear I’m never going to be able to buy a home.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a PHD and a few grad degrees that basically helped me get a 50k a year job. My student loans are well over 100k and my monthly payment is $1800. Can student loans be discharged with bankruptcy? I’m 48 years old and I fear I’m never going to be able to buy a home.
In certain, specific cirumstances they can be. If you google "can student loans be discharged in bankruptcy" you will find websites that outline the possibilities. A consult with a bankruptcy attorney in your area would be a good idea as well.

However, You also should be examining ways that you can reduce your monthly obligation/long term obligation. There are many programs available. A bankruptcy is not going to make you immediately credit worthy to buy a house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">