• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the courts force....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gene61

What is the name of your state? fl
can the courts force a sick person to get a job?? We filed 13 to save our house and go to court next month for foreclosure hearing. My husband is the one working. I stay home because I am sick and cannot work. We are making enough money now to support ourselves with. Can they force me to get a job?? So we can pay unsecured creditors back?? Nothing is in my name. Thanks...Tiffany

S

srhng

your already filing chapter 13 which means you have proposed a payback plan. Thats a hell of a lot better than most of us who file chapter 7 and desire to discharge debt.

I doubt very much that a trustee will "force you" to go to work if your husbands income has enough "disposable income" to fund the chapter 13 plan.

If there is not enough disposable income, a chapter 7 is more appropriate. But some of your assets are not protected.

Only if you cannot fund a chapter 13 plan and you do not want to lose unexempt assets in a chapter 7, that would be the time to get a job. Make xtra money to fund the chapter 13 plan.

It will probably be your choice, not the trustees choice wether you go to work sick or not. He just works with what income your getting, not on any potential income. He cant collect potential income and in this job market, there is NO potenial income anyway.

Any senior members have thoughts on this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">