• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the destruction of property alone constitute a hate crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zachw7

New York, but it is on the federal level.

In this scenario, take the case where a large wooden sign that says “Black Lives Matter” with a depiction of the upward-facing “Black Lives Matter” fist is set on fire, intentionally. Assuming that the act of arson involved “actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin” (as is the language used in 18 USC § 249), would the crime constitute a hate crime (in any federal statute, it doesn’t just have to be the one stated, if applicable).

Thanks so much!!

quincy

New York, but it is on the federal level.

In this scenario, take the case where a large wooden sign that says “Black Lives Matter” with a depiction of the upward-facing “Black Lives Matter” fist is set on fire, intentionally. Assuming that the act of arson involved “actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin” (as is the language used in 18 USC § 249), would the crime constitute a hate crime (in any federal statute, it doesn’t just have to be the one stated, if applicable).

Thanks so much!!
Where is the sign located?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was going to post that it's not arson in New York since arson only applies to buildings and motor vehicles.

Then I went ahead and looked it up (to make sure I correctly remembered my law lessons from 21 years ago) and apparently a statute was added recently (Arson, 5th degree, PL 150.01) which applies to any property. But it's only a class "A" misdemeanor".

Good thing I checked or I would have made a fool of myself. Again.

quincy

The arson as described (burning the Black Lives Matter sign posted on someone else’s property) could be charged as arson in the fifth degree - a Class A misdemeanor.

But, if also charged as a hate crime, this Class A misdemeanor is elevated to one category higher than the specified offense, making Arson in the Fifth Degree (a Class A misdemeanor), Arson in the Fourth Degree (a Class E felony).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">