• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can The Ex-wife Do This?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Ladyanne

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

My husband has a daughter from a previous marriage. The
ex-wife called my husband this evening informing him that she had filed for bankruptcy and that she may be trying to get more child support because she does not bring home the same amount as she used to...yearly she makes about $50,000 a year and my husband only makes $22,000. My question is, in the state of Ohio, does she have a leg to stand on, that is can she ask for more support now that she has filed bankruptcy or does the child support still get based on yearly income no matter bankruptcy?????? I really hope she cannot do this because she has put us literally through hell and back for the last four years. Thanks so much for you advice..............

kidoday

Yearly income is the rule. She can make $50,000 and spend $100,00, doesn't change the fact she makes 50.

She will be responsible for whatever her W2 states, and not the fact she filed for bankruptcy.

Good Luck.

kat1963

I actually know someone who's child support was INCREASED when they tried that after bankrupcy (DH's ex's husband...so *LOL*). Probably rare, he just pissed off the judge apparently trying to claim proverty. The judge said (I heard this from his ex wife) to him that since he discharged his debt, he could now afford MORE not LESS...ordered an extra 20 per month (whoppie) in support. DH's ex and her husband do nothing but continually take us and his ex to court over trivial b.s. every few months it is something. They file pro se and don't have a clue...it tanks my token that a few of the judges have allowed this crap to continue. The first thing we all do is look at which Judge we have to hear the case *LOL*. Poor dears, can't afford a lawyer, it doesn't matter if the wrong papers were filed, I'll hear it anyway. YAK!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">