• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the manager of my apartment building ignore my doctor's note?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Madaisia

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi. My mom lives in a senior high rise for 62+. She is not allowed to have anyone live with her unless they are on the lease. She has to have eye surgery and has to have 24/7 care after, for a month or more, because her vision will be so poor. She told her doctor about the circumstances with the building and the manager threatening to evict her if I was staying with her previously. The doctor gave her a letter stating she needed 24/7 care for at least a month. I am the only one who can do it. Is the manager allowed to deny her this care or me staying with her based on doctor's orders?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi. My mom lives in a senior high rise for 62+. She is not allowed to have anyone live with her unless they are on the lease. She has to have eye surgery and has to have 24/7 care after, for a month or more, because her vision will be so poor. She told her doctor about the circumstances with the building and the manager threatening to evict her if I was staying with her previously. The doctor gave her a letter stating she needed 24/7 care for at least a month. I am the only one who can do it. Is the manager allowed to deny her this care or me staying with her based on doctor's orders?
Is there a reason that your mother can't stay with you at your home?

Just Blue

Hi. I do not have my own place and am staying with relatives for the time being because my mom and I are looking to move. I also would be taking care of her pet.
Has your mother called the landlord, explained the situation and asked for permission?

Madaisia

No not yet. We are trying to get solid answers of what the manager can and can't do. She lives in a housing authority building and the manager has given her a hard time on previous occasions. That's why we're starting early and trying to find out if the doctor's orders can be ignored.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
.... the manager threatening to evict her if I was staying with her previously. ,,,,

. She lives in a housing authority building and the manager has given her a hard time on previous occasions. ...
It appears that you're saying you've stayed their previously, even though you weren't supposed to. But now that Mom is going to have a medical procedure, you want to see if you can go back to staying there without getting Mom evicted. Is that what's happening?

Madaisia

It appears that you're saying you've stayed their previously, even though you weren't supposed to. But now that Mom is going to have a medical procedure, you want to see if you can go back to staying there without getting Mom evicted. Is that what's happening?
Pretty much although I won't stay there if the note is denied but I don't know how She will be taken care of. What really upsets me is she goes after my mom but not others in the building bringing in drugs and having multiple people living with them because she is friends with that resident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">