• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police obtain a subpoena or warrant based on these text messages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick720

What is the name of your state? (California)

I received a random text from an unknown phone number that I have never seen before trying to sell me drugs. This is the conversation that I actually had from that random phone number:

Him: Hey

Me: Yes, who is this?

Him: Can i sell you 5 OxyContin for $50?

Me: No and opiates kill people and ruin lives. Drug dealers like you ruin people’s lives.

Him: I’m not a drug dealer, i just happen to have these on me and I wanted to see if you want them

Me: Yeah right! I’m reporting you to the Police Department.

Him: Please don’t report me to the Police. If you don’t want them then fine.

Also, does this conversation make it likely that the Local Police would look into this? In your opinion, what are the odds that they would investigate this?

quincy

What is the name of your state? (California)

I received a random text from an unknown phone number that I have never seen before trying to sell me drugs. This is the conversation that I actually had from that random phone number:

Him: Hey

Me: Yes, who is this?

Him: Can i sell you 5 OxyContin for $50?

Me: No and opiates kill people and ruin lives. Drug dealers like you ruin people’s lives.

Him: I’m not a drug dealer, i just happen to have these on me and I wanted to see if you want them

Me: Yeah right! I’m reporting you to the Police Department.

Him: Please don’t report me to the Police. If you don’t want them then fine.

Also, does this conversation make it likely that the Local Police would look into this? In your opinion, what are the odds that they would investigate this?
You can show the text messages you received from the random number to the police to see if they are interested in investigating the source.

I can't provide you with odds on what the police will do with the information.

CdwJava

In truth, I doubt they will expend the resources to do much with it. Although, if the name and/or number of the seller is local and someone they are familiar with, then MAYBE they might be interested. While this is a potential felony, drug offenses are not given high priority these days in CA and many agencies have had to cut back or abandon their narcotics units due to budget cuts and changes in the laws.

I suggest contacting the police and giving them access to the messages. They can then decide what - if anything - they might do with it.

patrick720

You can show the text messages you received from the random number to the police to see if they are interested in investigating the source.

I can't provide you with odds.
Would they be able to get a warrant to find out who sent these text messages based off of this content? Is this enough probable cause?

CdwJava

Would they be able to get a warrant to find out who sent these text messages based off of this content? Is this enough probable cause?
Maybe. The question is less about whether it is possible, but whether it is something they'd be interested in.

Report it to the police and they can decide.

quincy

The police potentially could trace the random number to the person who sent the texts, this without warrant or subpoena.

If you received texts trying to sell you drugs, take the texts to your local police department to see if they are interested.

TigerD

They will most likely starting asking - what is it about you that people would contact you to attempt to sell drugs.
Leave it alone. Block the guy.
Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on.

TD

quincy

They will most likely starting asking - what is it about you that people would contact you to attempt to sell drugs.
Leave it alone. Block the guy.
Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on.

TD
It apparently was a wrong number.

patrick720

In truth, I doubt they will expend the resources to do much with it. Although, if the name and/or number of the seller is local and someone they are familiar with, then MAYBE they might be interested. While this is a potential felony, drug offenses are not given high priority these days in CA and many agencies have had to cut back or abandon their narcotics units due to budget cuts and changes in the laws.

I suggest contacting the police and giving them access to the messages. They can then decide what - if anything - they might do with it.
My city has a population of 85,000 people and it's a small area of land so it's densely populated. The narcotics unit of my city consists of 1 sergeant and 4 detectives. My city is also part of a greater metro area with a population of 2.1 million people.

So idk if that gives you an idea of what they're willing to pursue or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">