• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police obtain a subpoena or warrant based on these text messages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylene

You seem like a smart and very precise sort of guy.

I want to warn you that you are sticking your neck out in a way that if seriously persued at best would significantly inconvience you with your phone being impounded. You could also become known and involved with people who are unsavory. The police might think you are co-conspirator, or somehow involved. Aspects of your life could be exposed in publicly uncomfortable. The police may doubt your veracity - this could be as simple as some ridicule or incredulousness to false report charges.

Here are some facts: You are not a victim. You do not know the caller. This sounds like a crank call.

If you were receiving many text or they were harrasing I might advise differently. That isn't happening.

quincy

The police will take your report. That is the most anyone can say. What the police do with the information is not necessarily dependent on the size of the city or the size of the police force but on what the police feel the information is worth.

Either take the texts to the police department or delete them. The choice is entirely up to you. But taking the texts to the police department is the only way you are apt to find out what the police will do with them.

justalayman

You seem like a smart and very precise sort of guy.

I want to warn you that you are sticking your neck out in a way that if seriously persued at best would significantly inconvience you with your phone being impounded. You could also become known and involved with people who are unsavory. The police might think you are co-conspirator, or somehow involved. Aspects of your life could be exposed in publicly uncomfortable. The police may doubt your veracity - this could be as simple as some ridicule or incredulousness to false report charges.

Here are some facts: You are not a victim. You do not know the caller. This sounds like a crank call.

If you were receiving many text or they were harrasing I might advise differently. That isn't happening.
Heck, for all anybody knows it could have been an attempt to get the op to act or otherwise incriminate themselves; a sting if you will

So the op acted wisely and refused to purchase drugs from an unknown seller

CdwJava

My city has a population of 85,000 people and it's a small area of land so it's densely populated. The narcotics unit of my city consists of 1 sergeant and 4 detectives. My city is also part of a greater metro area with a population of 2.1 million people.

So idk if that gives you an idea of what they're willing to pursue or not.
Still a crap shoot. Call the police, give them what you have, and be done with it.

patrick720

Still a crap shoot. Call the police, give them what you have, and be done with it.
Ok, will do. Just out of curiosity, if i do file a report about this, how long would it take for the police to act on this information if they decided they would want to pursue it?

justalayman

Ok, will do. Just out of curiosity, if i do file a report about this, how long would it take for the police to act on this information if they decided they would want to pursue it?
Somewhere between almost immediately and never.

And you won’t be given information about their investigation either.

quincy

Take the texts to the police and ask them.

What you've been told by forum members really is not that difficult to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">