• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can the prosecutor become the plaintiff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kellmc

In regards to ratification of commencement and real party in interest(FRCP 17), can I object with a motion (.....?) for dismissal when prosecutor becomes the plaintiff as colorable real party in interest?

tranquility

Civ pro issues get technical very fast. You need to give some facts about what is happening and what your goals are before someone can even attempt a response.

latigo

In regards to ratification of commencement and real party in interest(FRCP 17), can I object with a motion (.....?) for dismissal when prosecutor becomes the plaintiff as colorable real party in interest?
Given your expression “ratification of commencement” the best I can make of your post is that you are going down for the count in facing an aggressive, well-prepared federal prosecutor whom in your mind’s eye is the real fiend in the case and not the prosecutor’s employee, the federal government.

And you are considering invoking Rule 17(a)(3) with a motion to dismiss the lawsuit on the grounds that the prosecutor is the real party in interest and not his employer the USA.

Because that is the only section in Rule 17 where the words “ratify/ratification” are mentioned.

And there only in the sense that if the motion were well taken (which it won’t be), the real died-in-the-wool, 100% real party interest is given a reasonable time to join, ratify or substitute in the action.

If this is the approach you are thinking about, then abandon it and begin looking for different straws and larger loopholes. And perhaps better professional representation.

Good luck with whatever

tranquility

Wow, my dearest friend spent a bit of time chasing the wisp of smoke given us by the OP. But, reading his post, I rather think he's right both in the specifics here and for civ pro in general. Rarely do people win because of some purported rule violation. (At least without there being some egregious violation.) Not as a matter of law, but as a matter of practicality. Why have everyone do this all over again because of some procedural error?

ESPECIALLY when we know the OP is doing this pro per.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">