• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the State be a Select Combobox that we can search by?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woody100

Administrator
Staff member
We are familiar with the select object. Since this is third party software, some changes are easier to manage than others, but we will take a look at it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state? <------

Can we turn the question above into a selectable (required) 50 state combo box that we can use to search on? Law's tend to vary at the state level and it would be helpful to search on a topic only relevant to our particular location.
Until that happens, just name your state and discuss your issues. We regulars know to respond with comments limited to your state.

Agreed, The request it more geared for the ability to search on more narrow scope without the logic of FuzzyName matching being involved.

quincy

Most posters include their state names, if not in the first post then in a subsequent post after prompting from a forum member to provide a state name.

This DOES mean that you should read all posts in a thread to see if the state name has been provided. But you should be reading all posts in a thread anyway so you don't miss important information added later.

As a note: On some mobile devices, the state name question does not appear in the message box. A failure to provide a state name, therefore, is not because a poster has ignored or erased the question. It was never there to ignore or erase.

Mass_Shyster

Another suggestion: If this is done, can it be set to put the entire state name in the post, and not just the postal abbreviation. I don't believe the software allows for searching two character words ( like "MA"), but certainly allows for "Massachusetts".

HOWEVER, ten years ago I made some mods to a phpbb system to require a zip code. Every upgrade since then has required more work since the code was no longer generic. I'm no longer associated with them, so some other poor SOB has to maintain my code.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">