• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the USPS be held accountable financially for losing my paychecks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saywhaaat?

Norfolk, Virginia

I have been having lost and severely delayed paychecks recur for 8 months straight in one location not 5 miles from my employer (I work remotely, have medical issues, don't have a car). I have moved in February of 2018 and now in November of 2018 the same thing has happened and I am worried. My employer forces me to pay the stop payment fee which is $30 or so from each check that needs to be replaced. I am no fool and am not imagining things, it is only my paychecks that are consistently missing. Bills and requested information arrives in a timely manner. Yet my checks are the only mail that is always missing or delayed and every call, email or letter to the USPS or postmaster is a waste of time. They tell me to sign up for direct deposit at work which is NOT offered and to spend as much as $9 or $10 to pay for a service like priority mail for EACH of my weekly checks.

With more remote workers whether part or full time, lost and delayed paychecks simply should not be yet this issue seems to be intentional because I must reitierate it is clearly only my paychecks that are ever lost or delayed. My bills, catalogs with specified delivery dates, requested correspondence, etc. are ALWAYS on time and NEVER delayed or lost. Why is it that my paycheck keeps getting lost or delayed but not any other regular mail? Why is it there is no solution that doesn't cost lower paid workers roughly $40 just to get their paychecks? Even signing up for the informed mail service it is clear to me that my paychecks are for some reason being toyed with, as in my paychecks are not being scanned and magically appear in the mailbox...until they don't. During those horrific 8 months where my checks were never on time, usually delayed for two weeks without apology or explanation by the USPS (as shown by their own date stamp on the letter), they put me in ever constant jeopardy of not being able to pay my bills or save money and stick to my own financial plans.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Is it possible that it's not the USPS, but your employer, that is responsible for the late checks?

And if it is the USPS that is responsible, how do you KNOW that other mail hasn't been lost on it's way to you? Because with the exception of your paycheck, would you know if something was mailed to you (ie, catalogs) but you didn't receive it?

Finally, have you asked your employer to pay you with an e-check? Zelle? Or any of the other electronic payment options?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Why is it that my paycheck keeps getting lost or delayed but not any other regular mail?
Then what makes you think the USPS is the problem here? Much of the USPS delivery system is automated; if all your other mail is timely except for mail from one particular sender that's usually an indicator that it is the that one sender who is to blame.

During those horrific 8 months where my checks were never on time, usually delayed for two weeks without apology or explanation by the USPS (as shown by their own date stamp on the letter), they put me in ever constant jeopardy of not being able to pay my bills or save money and stick to my own financial plans.
You're sure it is the USPS cancellation mark on the letter and not the employer's? Does the mail bear stamps on it? Many businesses use their own mail machines rather than stamps; it's more convenient and saves money over using stamps.

Absolutely not. By federal law the federal government is immune from suit for any problems resulting from the delivery of the mail. Delayed, lost, or stolen mail is not something for which you can sue. If you buy postal insurance, then you can sue for lost items based on the insurance contract, but that's it.

FlyingRon

If the sender is using a postage meter and runs the envelopes on a date DIFFERENT than when they're actually mailed, they are breaking the law by the way. If you screw up and run the postage before you mail it, you're supposed to rerun it with Zero amount postage so the postage meter "cancellation" bears the right date.

LdiJ

If the sender is using a postage meter and runs the envelopes on a date DIFFERENT than when they're actually mailed, they are breaking the law by the way. If you screw up and run the postage before you mail it, you're supposed to rerun it with Zero amount postage so the postage meter "cancellation" bears the right date.
I agree, although our local post office did say that if we ran it late in the day on the previous day, and it went in the next morning's mail, that it wasn't a problem.

I have also known companies who have cut the checks on the proper pay day, but delayed handing them out until they were sure there was enough money in the bank.

Mass_Shyster

Jumping to the conclusion that this is intentional, is it more likely that someone at the post office is singling your paycheck out for special handling, or is it more likely that someone at your employer's office is singling your paycheck out for special handling?

My guess is they want you to get fed up and quit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">