• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they change my door?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnny4307

What is the name of your state? CA
My apartments were recently sold to become condos. My building is not set to go into phase for remodeling until next year after my lease will already be up. They told us that they will not be working on our apartment until then. However they have already painted our balcony, which was not that big of a deal. They now want to change our door. Does this constitute them working on my apartment? I think that it does. There is nothing wrong with the door I have. It looks good.
My question is this.
Can I use this as a means of them breaking the agreement since they said they will not be working on my apartment until it goes into phase? I want to move out but they won't let me until my lease is up. If they want to work on my apartment so bad, then they should be able to let me out of my lease.
Thank you

FarmerJ

As long as this is not a emergency repair all they need to do is give you proper notice that the work is going to be done and theres not much you can do AND no its not a good enough reason to get out of the lease.

johnny4307

what is proper notice?

california,
you sid that they need proper notice, do they have to personally give me the notice, mail it to me with a signature required, or is simply attatching it to my door sufficient enough. And do they have to specify exactly which day it will be done on, or say that it would be done between the 13-16?
Please help, I really dislike this place, management is a joke, and they just keep screwing me over.
I have talked to other tenants who said that they let them out of their lease, but they won't let me out. I have also seen tenants who have moved in after me and already gone before me within just a couple of months.
Thank you for your advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">