• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Can they find out what was said to the police?"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

Replying to "Will employers be able to see what I said to the police when they took me to the hospital?"

What is the name of your state? AZ Sorry, it appears that this subject has been totally exhausted by the OP Devomajos but I need to add: Involuntary commitment usually occurs due to a condition where the individual is "a danger to themselves to others." If you made threats to anyone the police totally can report that, especially to the person you threatened. In this case, if you said "I'd like to blow up Goldman Sachs" that institution can absolutely get that info. It's very unlikely that Goldman Sachs knows to query the specific incident tough. What no one can get is any medical records, that is protected by HIPPPA. Your records regarding your interaction with the police are totally discoverable and are actually open by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA.)

However, if the OP has an illness advising a certain form of treatment (therapy) is inappropriate and could actually result in the OP eschewing that treatement, ie "those jerks think I need therapy and they must be wrong so I will never get therapy."

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? AZ Sorry, it appears that this subject has been totally exhausted by the OP Devomajos but I need to add: Involuntary commitment usually occurs due to a condition where the individual is "a danger to themselves to others." If you made threats to anyone the police totally can report that, especially to the person you threatened. In this case, if you said "I'd like to blow up Goldman Sachs" that institution can absolutely get that info. It's very unlikely that Goldman Sachs knows to query the specific incident tough. What no one can get is any medical records, that is protected by HIPPPA. Your records regarding your interaction with the police are totally discoverable and are actually open by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA.)

However, if the OP has an illness advising a certain form of treatment (therapy) is inappropriate and could actually result in the OP eschewing that treatement, ie "those jerks think I need therapy and they must be wrong so I will never get therapy."
What the heck are you talk about? And what the heck is HIPPPA?

KW

Health Information Privacy and Portability Act I inserted one too many P's

I'm posting as a response to the thread about a prospective employer getting police records

FlyingRon

Two too many Ps and not enough As. There's no PRIVACY in the title (though privacy is what it is all about): Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

The police are not covered by HIPAA. HIPAA regulates "covered entities." A covered entity under the act is anybody who electronically transmits health information. Typically, these are medical providers and the insurance agencies, and related organizations that handle the billing.

Just Blue

Health Information Privacy and Portability Act I inserted one too many P's

I'm posting as a response to the thread about a prospective employer getting police records
Don't you think it would be beneficial to the members here to post a link to the thread in question so we know what the heck you're talking about?

KW

Two too many Ps and not enough As. There's no PRIVACY in the title (though privacy is what it is all about):

Whoa my bad you are correct!

About 1,110,000,000 results (0.78 seconds)

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Health Information Privacy Protection Act of 2013 - Prohibits the enrollment of any individual in a qualified health plan offered in a state through an American Health Benefit Exchange under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act until the state certifies to the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS), and ...

KW

Don't you think it would be beneficial to the members here to post a link to the thread in question so we know what the heck you're talking about?
I question your assertion that you are a "mental health provider".
Okay, question away! I'll be sure and mention this to my CEO.

zddoodah

Replying to "Will employers be able to see what I said to the police when they took me to the hospital?"
Does this mean you started this thread to respond to some other thread (to which you didn't provide a link)? Why would you do that, rather than respond in that other thread?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does this mean you started this thread to respond to some other thread (to which you didn't provide a link)? Why would you do that, rather than respond in that other thread?
I suspect it was a long-dormant thread so s/he figured it was better to respond this way, lest s/he be accused of necroposting.

KW

I have every clue about HIPPAA, just got all the initials wrong, which is really common. Not sure what you are getting out of attacking me, but it's weird. I posted because under the Tarasoff decision there is a duty to report a threat to a person or entity. That and FOIA make it possible for an employer or anyone to get access to a police report. The thread caught my eye because it mentioned involuntary commitment, which is in my wheelhouse. Interesting symptoms you are demonstrating, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">