• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they make you sell your home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BigDaddy1115

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My mother is looking to file bankrupt being that she has become disabled and can not work.

She is going to file on HER bills alone. My father (they are married) is not going to file. My mother is not including anything in the bankruptcy that has my father as the joint signer. This is strictly my mother filing solely on her bills.

My mother and fathers name is both on the house. The house is not paid for. It is valued at $76,000 but they only owe $47,000 on it. Can they make my mother sell their home if she files bankruptcy since their is so much equity in the home?

She is not including the home in the bankruptcy.

Thanks for any help.

bigun

Your mother really needs to see a lawyer. She must include the home in her bk petition. She'll have to list the equity as an asset and the mortgage as a liability. I got no idea how a joint asset with that much equity and only one party filing will be handled. Since the mortgage is joint, your Dad needs to get ready to see a tradeline on his credit report of "included in bk" on the mortgage listing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">