• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they sue me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.




I have someone threatening to sue me in a Florida small claims court over an incident involving a rental house.

I live in Utah and rent a house in Florida, this party rented from me over the internet and signed a contract in Wisconsin and mailed it to Utah, and then stayed in the house in Florida. They feel they did not get what they wanted, I think they did but my question is one of jurisdiction.

I live in Utah can they reach me from a Florida small claims court? Is this a serious threat?

Rob H


Senior Member
My response:

They sure can. You see, when you own property in any State, like Florida, what you are doing is "availing yourself of the laws of the State" - - that is, you expect certain rights and protections of the law in Florida because of your property ownership.

So, because you have property in Florida, the Florida court can obtain jurisdiction over you.

Good luck.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential