• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can They Take The Cars?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Freedom16

What is the name of your state? WA

Can the trustee take cars that are not in my name that I am driving. The titles have never been in my name, they are in my father-in-law's name.

S

skwirl

Since they are not your property(technically) you wouldn't list them as your assets in your BK petition anyway. The trustee might ask you how you get around if you live in a small town and you would tell him "with a borrowed vehicle", of course if you live in a large city the question may not even come up, because most people in NY and LA(as an example) use public transportation.

C

CactusFlower

We Are Going Through

a Chapter 7 as we speak. Met with the trustee last week, and were told to bring all titles to all vehicles with us. They never asked to see any of the things that we were requested to bring with us. It took all of 5 minutes, and we were out of there. It was nothing like I expected it to be.

Don't panic!!! :eek:

If the vehicles are not in your name, they cannot touch them.

I believe that our attorney told us that you can have as many vehicles as you want as long as the total value of them does not exceed a certian amount....and I think it was $15,000, but am not positive on the amount.

Good Luck!! :D

S

skwirl

Actually it depends on what state you live in, for example some states only allow $1000 exemption for a vehicle while others allow $2000, and yet others allow you to use a wild card exemption worth even more. Each state has it's own rules while some allow you to use the federal exemptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">