• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this be pursued in courts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member

We have a situation where a member of our family that is married to a local politician goes around telling other family members and 3rd parties that we are drug dealers and drug addicts. This is of course untrue. They make these allegations to local police and others that result in being pulled over by police and children to be kicked out of their homes by their parents. We both work in the education field and this could be very detremental to our careers.
It would be difficult to prove the police harassment as the connection with the former town councilman would be well covered.
As for the other people they have spread these rumors to, We have to constantly take phone calls defending ourselves to friends family and former family.
I would like to know what recourse I can take to end this abuse of power and spread of untruths.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?


Senior Member
I suggest you contact an attorney in your area who handles defamation actions. Falsely accusing someone of drug use and abuse is defamatory. Reputational injury is presumed.

Defamation actions are extremely expensive, and they are time consuming, and there is never a guarantee of a win. However an attorney can tell you what the odds are of your being successful in such a lawsuit and whether he/she thinks pursuing such a lawsuit is worthwhile.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential