• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Used Car be returned if breakdown within 7 days of purchase?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

printwows

Virginia:

My husband purchased a used car that came with 1000 miles / 30 days warranty cover of 50% part/labor the dealer would pay.

He purchased it on a Saturday 8/24/02, only drove it 3 times (once to the dealer to fix interior stuff and an oil leak). On the third drive we went out of town and it broke down on the way back which on 8/31/02. We left it at a similar dealership 2 hours away and had to rent a car home.

The dealership that checked it out says relays in the transmissions needed to be repaired, there were leaks in the power steering, and other repairs that need to be done costing over $1000,00 or more.

1.) Do we have to accept this vehicle and let them patch fix the problems

2.) can we insist they take it back and give us something else?

3.) Can we get our money back and go elsewhere?

I'm sure implied warranty fits in here somewhere. It doesn't make sense we have to pay 50% of repairs on a car that has trouble before he got it. At the time of breakdown the mileage was less than 400 miles.

Please answer even to say "you dont' have an answer"

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

printwows said:
Virginia:

"It doesn't make sense we have to pay 50% of repairs on a car that has trouble before he got it."

====================================

My response:

Why do you think they're called "used cars"?

They're at the dealership because someone else before you wanted to unload that piece of crap. When you buy a used car, you're also buying someone else's problems.

You're very lucky to have gotten ANY type of "warranty."

You'll have fun pushing it around town.

Happy motoring!

IAAL

P

printwows

Thanks for both your responses.

I asked these questions for my husband. Personally I had nothing to do with this transaction. I knew we couldn't afford a new car and was very leary of buying used for the same reason you mentioned "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE".

I told him several times over the phone that day "don't sign anything". He claimed he was going just looking. I also expressed my concerns before he started looking "we could end up with something that we are paying for and fixing" and felt fixing what we already had was a better solution.

But since the damage is done I was trying to get some insight on what options he had before he spoke with the dealership tommorrow.

Thanks again;

Signed;

Stuck in the middle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">