• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we import this data into our platform's database?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nitz

Hello Friends,

I have a query regarding a Licence statement.

There is some tabled dataset in a publicly available document which we want to import into one of our digital platforms. At the end of the document, the following licence statement is given:
"Grant of licence
You are granted a non-exclusive right to access and use the information in this document excluding the right to reproduce all
or substantial parts of this document for the purpose of making such reproductions available to third parties."

We intend to use this dataset only to make our platform more user friendly and no end user can see all the data at once. The end user must know a code which he/she inputs and only then data related to that code gets auto populated into a web form. Currently, users have to manually enter the information that would otherwise get auto-populated based on the code. By auto-populating we also reduce human errors that may otherwise creep in. We are not selling the data in any which ways to anyone.

So based on the statement above, can we legitimately import all the tabled dataset into our platform to make it easier for our end users to fill a particular form?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Nitz

LdiJ

Hello Friends,

There is some tabled dataset in a publicly available document which we want to import into one of our digital platforms. At the end of the document, the following licence statement is given:
"Grant of licence
You are granted a non-exclusive right to access and use the information in this document excluding the right to reproduce all
or substantial parts of this document for the purpose of making such reproductions available to third parties."

We intend to use this dataset only to make our platform more user friendly and no end user can see all the data at once. The end user must know a code which he/she inputs and only then data related to that code gets auto populated into a web form. Currently, users have to manually enter the information that would otherwise get auto-populated based on the code. By auto-populating we also reduce human errors that may otherwise creep in. We are not selling the data in any which ways to anyone.

So based on the statement above, can we legitimately import all the tabled dataset into our platform to make it easier for our end users to fill a particular form?

Best regards,

Nitz
The bolded is very plain language. If you cannot understand what it says, then you need an attorney who represents you, to explain it to you.

Nitz

Thank you LdiJ for your response.

Yes its indeed plain language and as a layman I would believe since we are not making all or substantial parts of the document available to the end user (third party), we can safely import the data into our platform. My confusion only stems from the fact that we will be importing all of the data into our platform. So, I was just trying to be sure as I am not a legal expert, but a technologist.

In any case, I appreciate your candid response.

quincy

Hello Friends,

"Grant of licence

Best regards,

Nitz
Where do you live, Nitz? FreeAdvice addresses US law questions only.

The license grants you personal access and use only. You are not permitted to copy the data.

You could seek from the rights-holder another license to do what you want to do but the rights-holder does not have to grant you a license beyond the limited license already granted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">