• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we move out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Idaho

My husband has sole legal and sole physical custody of his 14 year old daughter. Her birth mother, who lives in Las Vegas, has supervised visitation which she has exercised twice in a 5-year period. She was ordered to pay child support, but has not paid anything and I think she currently owes about $9,000.

Which brings me to my question. We would like to move from Idaho to Alaska because there is a school up there that I hope to attend to change careers. What, if anything, do we have to do custody-wise or through the courts to move?

It is possible that our daughter's birth mother could want to fight us because it would be harder/more expensive for her to visit if/when she decided to.

I have tried looking through state statues, case law, etc., but can't find any info to help me. It seems that most others in this situation have a fight by the other local parent that shares custody.. but my situation is much different. If someone could even point me in the right direction as far as how to research the requirements I would really appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential