• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can we sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debk140

My son was almost beating to death by three men. One of them used a baseball bat. It happened a year ago. We had a attorney that was going to handle the suit but he sent us a letter yesterday saying he wouldn't be able to handle the case because it was an intentional act and he wouldn't get the money back that he spent litigating the case.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by debk140:
My son was almost beating to death by three men. One of them used a baseball bat. It happened a year ago. We had a attorney that was going to handle the suit but he sent us a letter yesterday saying he wouldn't be able to handle the case because it was an intentional act and he wouldn't get the money back that he spent litigating the case.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Although you didn't tell us your State (See red lettered Notice, above) you may be entitled to money under your State's Victims of Violent Crimes Act. Inquire through your State's Attorney General Office. They will send you the forms.

Your attorney is correct. There's no money in this matter for him / her because what happened to your son is an "intentional tort" and no insurance will cover the liability of such an act. And, if the defendants are given to using baseball bats as weapons, it's a sure bet they don't own anything to attach to pay damages to your son. Sure, a judgment is good for up to 20 years, and in that time the defendants are bound to own something, or have jobs with wages that can be garnished, but who wants to wait for their Attorney fee money?

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

D

debk140

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by debk140:
My son was almost beating to death by three men. One of them used a baseball bat. It happened a year ago. We had a attorney that was going to handle the suit but he sent us a letter yesterday saying he wouldn't be able to handle the case because it was an intentional act and he wouldn't get the money back that he spent litigating the case.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Michigan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">