• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you apply a foreign tax credit against Medicare taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryanf1475

Sorry, one more question! I noticed that my tax software is not applying my foreign tax credit against my Medicare taxes. Is this right? I am curious now -- do Medicare taxes fall into a separate category that you cannot apply tax credits against? Thanks for any replies.

LdiJ

Sorry, one more question! I noticed that my tax software is not applying my foreign tax credit against my Medicare taxes. Is this right? I am curious now -- do Medicare taxes fall into a separate category that you cannot apply tax credits against? Thanks for any replies.
Yes, Medicare taxes fall into a separate category. It used to be more obvious on the old 1040, but with the new forms it would be less clear to a layperson.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
LdiJ is right, but I'll provide a little more explanation. The foreign tax credit is a credit against income tax. FICA taxes — which are the Social Security and Medicare taxes — are not part of the income tax. They are separate taxes. The Form 1040 includes some lines for taxes other than income tax out of convenience for the taxpayer and the IRS, and the forms are careful to ensure that income tax credits and deductions do not reduce other taxes that are covered on the form.

ryanf1475

LdiJ is right, but I'll provide a little more explanation. The foreign tax credit is a credit against income tax. FICA taxes — which are the Social Security and Medicare taxes — are not part of the income tax. They are separate taxes. The Form 1040 includes some lines for taxes other than income tax out of convenience for the taxpayer and the IRS, and the forms are careful to ensure that income tax credits and deductions do not reduce other taxes that are covered on the form.
thanks to both of you!

ryanf1475

OK, I have one more question on this subject in case anyone can help... I had called the IRS hotline for international tax payers about a month ago with a simple question: what do I put on line 17 of this form (2555 EZ) (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2555ez.pdf)? The wording is confusing because it says to enter "the total foreign earned income you earned and received in 2018" and the instructions just repeat this same language. The guy told me I was supposed to put my GROSS earnings, not after-tax earnings. Which was surprising because the language says "earned and received." Obviously I did not "receive" the taxes withheld. But now my tax software won't let me enter an amount higher than my after-tax earnings, so I am thinking the guy must have been wrong. Could it be? Please help!

LdiJ

OK, I have one more question on this subject in case anyone can help... I had called the IRS hotline for international tax payers about a month ago with a simple question: what do I put on line 17 of this form (2555 EZ) (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2555ez.pdf)? The wording is confusing because it says to enter "the total foreign earned income you earned and received in 2018" and the instructions just repeat this same language. The guy told me I was supposed to put my GROSS earnings, not after-tax earnings. Which was surprising because the language says "earned and received." Obviously I did not "receive" the taxes withheld. But now my tax software won't let me enter an amount higher than my after-tax earnings, so I am thinking the guy must have been wrong. Could it be? Please help!
It is definitely the gross income that belongs on line 17. That same amount but in a negative amount, belongs on line 21 of Schedule 1 as well. So if line 17 is 80,000 then line 21 of Schedule 1 should be (80,000).

ryanf1475

It is definitely the gross income that belongs on line 17. That same amount but in a negative amount, belongs on line 21 of Schedule 1 as well. So if line 17 is 80,000 then line 21 of Schedule 1 should be (80,000).
ok, thanks, but what makes you sure it is gross?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Which was surprising because the language says "earned and received." Obviously I did not "receive" the taxes withheld.
The wording is the way it is because not all income you earn in a year is necessarily received in that same tax year. When you do get paid, you receive the gross income for that payment, including the tax withheld. That withholding is every bit a part of what you got, it is just that you directed it to the government to be credited against taxes instead of getting in your pocket. In other words, the tax law sees it exactly the same as though you got the entire payment in your pocket and then you sent the amount withheld to the government. Both situations are exactly the same. Moreover, you would want it to be the gross income on this form because that increases the amount of foreign earned income that gets excluded.

ryanf1475

Oh, I see... OK, many thanks to you both! By the way, do either of you know whether it's possible to carry forward (or back) any "excess" exclusion? e.g. if I exclude 100k but income is only 90k, can I carry forward a 10k exclusion somehow?

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Oh, I see... OK, many thanks to you both! By the way, do either of you know whether it's possible to carry forward (or back) any "excess" exclusion? e.g. if I exclude 100k but income is only 90k, can I carry forward a 10k exclusion somehow?
There is no carry forward for the exclusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">