• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you buy a pond that was owned by a corporation that went bankrupt and has not paid taxes since 1937

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I could buy that pond if I could find out who the current owner of it is and was able to reach agreement with that person on a price for the pond. But before doing that I'd want a complete title search done and investigate any clouds on the title, all liens on the property, and in particular what property taxes are owed, so I know what it is going to take to get clear title and what it will cost me. If YOU are interested in buying such a property I'd strongly recommend you consult a real estate attorney to help you sort out all the issues with the property so you know what you are getting into.

quincy

A lot will depend on the particulars. The corporate property may have to be sold as a whole and not divided into separate parcels.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
A lot will depend on the particulars. The corporate property may have to be sold as a whole and not divided into separate parcels.
Definitely lacking in details here. And considering it's Florida I'd want to be sure to look at the property and ensure it really is a pond and not swamp land... :LOL:

quincy

Stilts can turn a home into waterfront property, even on swampland. :)

Last edited:

zddoodah

Can you buy a pond that was owned by a corporation that went bankrupt and has not paid taxes since 1937
I "can buy" anything if I can find a seller willing to sell the thing to me for a price that I am willing and able to pay.

I doubt, however, that's really what you intended to ask, so I suggest you try again, and please be aware that the fact that someone owned the pond 83 years ago and subsequently "went bankrupt" is not particularly meaningful information. What matters is who presently owns the property and whether that person/entity is willing to sell.

quincy

In Florida, you could end up being in the water, not in front of it if you're not careful.
The way the coastlines have been changing (including the lake coasts in Michigan), building too close to any body of water can be a mistake.

Buying and building on a corporate pond might be the smartest move. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">