• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you file charges against another person in another state from your state if the crime was committed in their state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? Missouri
In general, you don't file charges yourself. The basic rule is that the prosecutor determines what charges are to be filed. There are a few exceptions to that in a couple states, mostly for very minor crimes. What you can do is report the incident to the police and/or prosecutor in the city/county where the crime was committed and they will decide what to do about it from there. If you provide some information on what happened and what states were involved we may be able to tell you where the appropriate place would be to make the complaint.

FlyingRon

Just to add, the crime has to be prosecuted where it took place. There are a few times when things take place interstate (over the phone for example), but unlike civil actions they can typically be raised in a venue just because the perpetrator lives there.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
but unlike civil actions they can typically be raised in a venue just because the perpetrator lives there.
I think you left out an important word there. :D Unlike civil actions, which may be filed against the defendant where he or she lives, a criminal prosecution may NOT be filed in a particular jurisdiction simply because the accused defendant lives there. As you said, what matters is where the crime is considered to have been committed.

FlyingRon

I think you left out an important word there. Unlike civil actions, which may be filed against the defendant where he or she lives, a criminal prosecution may NOT be filed in a particular jurisdiction simply because the accused defendant lives there. As you said, what matters is where the crime is considered to have been committed.
Yes, that's what I meant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">