• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you leave the state after a Federal Conviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninalou

He didn't do anything to warrant a bench show hearing which could cause him to get kicked off of the show grounds, but he did film my dog and me in the ring without my permission. I was helping a new person and after the class, the new person came to me to let me know I was being filmed (in case I didn't know) and he said there was a very bad feeling from the person filming. So the felon was up to his old tricks which does cause tension but no threat this time. He faces up to 50 years in prison if he gets the max for everything. Given he is 64, I would not want to be in his shoes. He did burn a lot of bridges coming to the show because the day before he set up a "go fund me account" to fund his appeal! (Then he comes to the show where he paid $130 in entry fees and a professional handler $400!) I was with friends who did not leave me alone and were on the look out for me. I think at this point I'm going to stop showing until sentencing this way I'll not have to deal with any run ins. Thank you all again!

ninalou

being bothered by him being there is not the same as the attorney bothering the op while at the show. Being bothered by his presence is something the show people shouldn’t get involved in. It is based on subjective personal feelings. If the attorney was bothering the op, that is a different matter.

Maybe the only person in the world that hates this guy is the op. Op is likely to come across as a whiner.
You are correct! A show committee cannot kick someone out because they are bothered. It needs to be a serious offense. The only reason I posted was because he lives in Manhattan and this was NJ. It baffled me that you can be convicted of a crime but can still leave your state for social reasons.

justalayman

he did film my dog and me in the ring without my permission
he doesn’t need your permission unless the rules of his release required it. The operators of the venue may be able to control such matters but if anybody is taking pictures, I suspect the operators allow photography.

justalayman

You are correct! A show committee cannot kick someone out because they are bothered. It needs to be a serious offense. The only reason I posted was because he lives in Manhattan and this was NJ. It baffled me that you can be convicted of a crime but can still leave your state for social reasons.
you can leave if the terms of your release allow it or the judge on the case allows it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It is often the case that a conviction in a state court will result in conditions placed on release pending sentencing or appeal will include a requirement that the defendant not leave the state. The main reason for that is that the state’s jurisdiction extends only to its borders and its law enforcement officers cannot themselves go and pick up the defendant in some other state. But a federal criminal conviction is a different situation. The federal government has jurisdiction nationwide and the U.S. Marshals can go anywhere in the country to pick him up if needed. So it is not always the case that a federal judge will impose a requirement to stay in the state. But what you will see at the very least is a requirement that the defendant not leave the country, and often the defendant must surrender any passport he has to the court.

quincy

It is generally the case that travel out of state must be granted by the judge - and it will only be granted by the judge for good reason.

It depends on the contents of the pre-sentence report. The pre-sentence report evaluates all aspects of the criminal's life and determines how much of a risk the offender is to the community should he be released on bail to await sentencing.

I know it must be hard, ninalou, to see this attorney apparently enjoying life outside prison. This enjoyment is apt to be short lived. Come August, his sentence will most likely include time in prison.

If filming was allowed at the dog show, the attorney did nothing wrong in videotaping. It is generally what is done with the videotape after filming that causes the greatest legal issues for a videographer.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">