• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you record your boss on the production floor,hallway,warehouse inNew Hampshire ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bob rock

Can you record your boss on the production floor,hallway,warehouse in
New Hampshire where require all parties to the conversation to consent to being taped?
I know that you can't record in the private space,but is public space where everybody can hear it (production floor,hallway,warehouse)

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Read the statute:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-hampshire/2017/title-lviii/chapter-570-a/section-570-a-2/

Read the definitions:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-hampshire/2017/title-lviii/chapter-570-a/section-570-a-1/

Might be legal if he has no "reasonable expectation that the communication is not subject to interception, under circumstances justifying such expectation."

Your problem there is that you would have to prove what's in his mind in order to avoid prosecution.

And even if you avoided prosecution you probably wouldn't avoid being fired once he finds out.

Further, since you can be fired for any reason or no reason (at will employment) what would be the point?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Depending on the employer, the OP might be subject to arrest for recording anything. The OP's probably not working in such a facility, but I can imagine some facilities where that could be the case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's put it this way.

Since links to the laws have already been posted, I won't look into the legalities. However, I think what you are asking is, do I have a protected right under the law to record my boss? Can I be fired if I do?

The answer to that question is probably yes, even if it does not violate the law to record your boss you can still be fired for it. However, I can think of one (and only one) situation where, if done absolutely correctly, you would probably have some protection. So I would like a great deal more detail on what it is your boss is doing that you want to record and how you plan to go about recording him.

bob rock

I know that you can't record in the private space,but is public space where everybody can hear it (production floor,hallway,warehouse)

quincy

Some employers do not permit recording of any kind, often because of the type of work that is done in the workplace.

For example: Work done for a company in research or product development will often be protected as trade secrets.

What type of harassment are you talking about? Surreptitious recording is rarely advised. If you cannot obtain consent from all who will be recorded, it is better to prove harassment in another way. Witness testimony is good evidence.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you insist on only a yes-no answer then the answer is No, you cannot record in a public space where everyone can hear it.

That's the best answer you're going to get until or unless you provide some details. If you don't feel comfortable providing details on the internet that's fine, that's up to you and it might even be the smart way to handle it. But if that is the case, you've already got the only answer a message board can or should provide.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's not so cut and dry. I would argue that the inside of a privately owned facility is not a "public space".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">