• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can your citizenship be denied because of a DWI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isabel484

My boyfriend just had his citizenship interview today. He passed all his tests, but was told that the decision would come in a letter in the mail because they had to review his file. They said it would take up to 3 months to receive the letter.
My boyfriend got a DWI in Nov 2005. He never had to serve any jail time, but did have to pay a fine for 3 years(which he is still paying), had his license revoked for 7 months and attended some classes. I have been reading up on this and have heard that some people received probation for 2-3 years, but he didn't get put on probation. I have read some cases on the internet where people say that this is not grounds for denial, but then some say that they have been denied because they had to wait 5 years after they completed their parole, or 3 years if they're married to a US citizen.
If he gets denied and appeals, what can we do to prove that he is of "good moral value"? and if he DOES get denied, does that mean that he is just SOL with all the money that he already spent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">