• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canadian setting up US business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and currently I am operating as an independent contractor providing services to a US based real estate firm. I am looking to set up a business in the US and I am wondering what process I need to take to accomplish this so that I am able to live and work legally in the US.

Some background information:

-I do not have a degree

-My experience in my field may be hard to detail as I have been independent for many years

-I currently gross over 300k US and therefore my new business starting as a sole proprietorship would be grossing the same

-I would intend to hire Americans for future expansion

-I am looking to locate in CA, but for puposes of setting up business I am flexible.

-I would be willing to acquire additional assets in the US such as real estate if needed.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.



Senior Member
You would need to apply for a treaty investor visa in order to be able to operate such a business in the US lawfully.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential