• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canadian with property in the US (gift?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cottager

Both parents very ill (I'm the only child). They have had a cottage in the US (Vermont) for 26 years but still live in Canada. Want to transfer property before death. 1) how do they transfer property? 2) Is there a tax that I will have to pay? 3) could it be a gift? 4) do I need a US lawyer to change deed? 5) how much would I expect a lawyer to charge me for this service? Would I have to go to a Canadian lawyer also? Any other info would be of big help.. I'm really all alone on this one... Thx.

T

Taxguy

>>4) do I need a US lawyer to change deed? 5) how much would I expect a lawyer to charge me for this service? Would I have to go to a Canadian lawyer also? <<

Yes.
Varies, but about $200-$300 (US)
Yes,...if you are concerned with Canadian legal/tax issues also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">