• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cancel a contract in New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jjzeen

I yesterday signed a contract for a vacation club. The decision had to be made at the time I was there. They kept giving me a better price, I finally signed. Today I had a change of mind.I called them and tried to cancel,get a refund or a settlement. But I could not. I payed for it on my credit card.
I also could not get a name or number of any parent company or head office. All I kept getting was the numbers for member services and the office I had visited in Hasbrouck Heights New Jersey. I think I was suckered.
Is there any government agencies or groups that can help me and is there any thing I can do. Don't you have a couple of days to cancel a large ticket item.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jjzeen:
I yesterday signed a contract for a vacation club. The decision had to be made at the time I was there. They kept giving me a better price, I finally signed. Today I had a change of mind.I called them and tried to cancel,get a refund or a settlement. But I could not. I payed for it on my credit card.
I also could not get a name or number of any parent company or head office. All I kept getting was the numbers for member services and the office I had visited in Hasbrouck Heights New Jersey. I think I was suckered.
Is there any government agencies or groups that can help me and is there any thing I can do. Don't you have a couple of days to cancel a large ticket item.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

If you are an adult who signed a valid contract, then, in the absence of fraud, you are obligated. Your credit card company will not assist you in this matter unless there is a valid reason for cancellation; i.e., "buyer's remorse" is not an excuse.

And no, this was not a "home solicitation" contract; that is, it was not signed in your home and therefore, you are not entitled to the usual 3-day "cooling off" period.

Enjoy your vacations.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

JETX

No, you do not get a 'gimmee' on a contract for a 'large ticket item'. That is only when the merchant comes to you for the sale, you can revoke the contract within 3 days.

But, don't give up yet!!

Send a certified letter to both the company and your credit card issuer. Explain why you feel that you were taken advantage of and ask that they 'reconsider' your contract. (NOTE: from your description, they have no legal obligation to do so. It would purely be at their option). Also, send a copy of your letter to their local BBB and to the Attorney General Consumer Affairs office. (Be sure to note all the addressees at the bottom of your letter. It has more impact.)

You might also try to dispute the credit card charge with your issuer. Again, probably no legal obligation to intercede, but it can't hurt.

Hell, you might even park your car outside the vaction resort or office (Public property ONLY), and put some signs on your car warning of the high pressure tactics used by the merchant).

Then, sit back and cross your fingers. The worst that can happen is you are right were you are now!!! But with an expensive education.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">