• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancel Home Owners Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nightingale

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I had to purchase home owners insurance in April 2002 due to a Home Improvement Loan that I took out to redo my home (built in 1915, restoring it!) I receivied a letter on 04/07/02 from my insurance company stating that they were going to cancel my policy due to the following factors: 1)the house was built in 1915, 2) my home needs painting, 3) that there is debris on my primises (sawhorses, 2x4, an old cabinet from where tore out an old bathroom, you know the normal things that get thrown out when improving your home) and last but not least...4)because I own 2 dogs (which are in a chain link fence with electric wire that encompasses the inside of the fence.) Needless to say I am ready to spit fire because NONE of this factors was ever discussed with me before I paid them $600.00 and signed on the dotted line. Can they actually do this to me? My heart tells me something is wrong somewhere! Please help me!:mad:

tammy8

Sorry but...

Yes they can cancel your polciy for pretty mich anything. They aren't required by law to provide you with anytype of coverage. Did you not have insurance on the dwelling before the new loan? This could also be a reason behind not insuring you--you are a risk to keep a policy. As far as the reasons behind why you are being are canceled 1. Most companies will not insure homes over 50 yrs old much less on of this age and one being revoated. HIgh risk of home burning due to wiring, building codes aren't like they are now, unsafe, people can get hurt while repairing home 2. Shows lack of pride in ownership so if you have something go wrong you may or may not repair until it is too late. 3. debris also shows lack of pride of ownership 4. Dogs are one of the biggest liablilites of all insurance companies and if the underwriters feel like you are an accident waiting to happen, then why bother insuring you.

Everything you were canceled for is basic common sense and companies don't have time to go over these things. I am just curious, did you tell the company that the home was old and being revoated? I don't know of any companies locally that insure these structures so just curious if you disclosed it. My advice is take the money refunded and call the NC joint underwriters association. Sounds like they are going to be your only option. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">