• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelation of dependants coverage question??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kclarey

What is the name of your state? Washington (seattle)

I curently have Premura Blue Cross insurance through my employer for myself and my daughter. They pay 100% medical for me only and I pay $350+ per month for medical, dental and vision for both of us. This is alot of money for a single mom with a 15 year old daughter.

I asked our broker a while back about the process required when canceling and he told me that I could just fill out a enrollment/change form when I found another plan, As long as I was securing coverage with Premera until then. If I just wanted to cancel without having other coverage yet I would have to wait until open enrollment.

I recently applied to Basic Health Plan through the state for my daughter only because I simply can't afford the duductions out of my check every two weeks. I was accepted for coverage due to my low income early September 2007.

Our broker was taking time off for personal reasons so I asked my boss if anyone else was filling in for him because I need to fill our that form to cancel. She said that she had the form so I got one and filled it out and gave it back to her the same day (sept 7th) which was two days after payday.

I called Premera and was told that they got the cancelation form from my employer on the 12th and that she requested that my insurance be canceled on the 1st of October.
Shouldn't my cancelation date be 9/7 or at least 9/12?

Since then , I've gotten paid twice, on the 20th and 5th of October, and they are still taking out the deduction each time.
My Oct. 5th check was $573 and I pay rent with this check. I know that doesn't really have anything to do with this but maybe you can understand why I'm so frusterated. :(

Will they reimburse me do you think?

Thank you for reading this!

KristenWhat is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not even remotely unusual for all changes to be effective the first of the month. Quite frankly, you are lucky that they allowed you to make the change at all without having to wait for open enrollment; many plans will only allow you to change because you found other coverage if you only just became eligible for it, not because you decided to look for less expensive coverage and found it. :)

I'm not unsympathetic, believe me. But there is nothing in the law that is going to require them to make the change mid-month or reimburse you for the premiums for that part of the month; it's entirely based on how your policy is written and this is a very, very common way for it to be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">