• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cancellation of insurance/lack of pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suzieqt333

What is the name of your state? AZ
I am not sure if i am posting in teh right place, but hopefully someone will have some advice for me. I decieded to leave my job at my work place at teh end of the school year. I am a teacher and now moving ot another state.

I should be apid a total of 24 pay checks for a full years salary and have yet to recieve my last pay check whch should have been issused on the 20 of july. My almost bigger problem is that i found out today via a phone call from an up-coming medical appointment that my medical insurance has been cancelled with NO notfication to me. I called the insurance company and aksed them about it and htey said it was my empolyeers responsibility to call me and give me notification of this cancellation and to give me the option ot continue on my insurance on my own. I have NEVER worked at a place beofre who has NOt contacted me or given me this option. I am horribly upset by all of this. are they required to give me notification of such a cancellation? and is there any action i can take about my lack of final paycheck?

thanks for any advice

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer has up to 44 days from the day of the insurance cancellation to provide you with that notice. If your final paycheck was due on July 20 they are still WELL within the legal timeframe to provide it.

It is perfectly legal - in fact, it is standard operating procedure - to cancel the insurance when you leave your employment and then IF you elect insurance continuation, to reinstate it retroactively.

suzieqt333

Thank you fo rthe reply...I guess my question is now..what if they do not give me a written notification after 44 days? I will say, I am not the type of person to persue such things...but am more so curious of the law as to this matter. I have Never had an employer simply up and cancel insurance without any notice...thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IF they do not provide you with COBRA notification within the 44 days, you can file a complaint of a COBRA violation with the US DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">