• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancellation of insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dodlelou

nc - My husband works for a town (municipality) electric department. The employer has always payed full family medical insurance. Due to cut backs he was notified that me (his spouse) would no longer be covered (effective two days later) by his insurance because I had other insurance offered through my employer. Is this legal to give no more notification? Can they change his policy without consulting him first?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In NC, like in 49 out of 50 states, health insurance is an optional benefit. It is entirely up to the employer whether or not they offer health insurance at all, and if they do, it is up to them whether they offer it to dependents or not. There is no requirement that they ask your husband before making changes to the policy.

Since I haven't had employees in NC since 1998, I don't remember any longer what notification period, if any, is required. You can get that information by calling the state insurance commission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">