• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelled check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EDL

What is the name of your state? MA

A friend of mine was aproached by another friend requesting that she make him a check for 6K to help him pay for a car that he had financed. He said that he could get the money but not before the due date. My friend agreed and they both went down to the dealership, where a representative asked her if she gave authorization to use the check.

After a day or so, she started having doubts, 6k is a lot of money, and after talking about it we decided to cancel the check. The the dealership wants their money and are taking her to court, according to them this was a criminal offense. She didn't have any intensions to defraud them, she just wanted to protect her self. What can she do?

Thank you in advanced for your advice

Ladynred

IF she did all that with the INTENTION to defraud the dealership, then it would be a criminal offense. The dealership would have to PROVE that her INTENT was to commit fraud - sounds to me like it sure wasn't. Proving INTENT is the key to whether or not it was criminal.

She had every right to cancel that check under the circumstances and she should explain that to the judge.

E

EDL

Thank you lady in red, this is the best response I've heard today.

Thank you for the hope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">