• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cancelled policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prj1954

What is the name of your state? florida

my wife was fired from her job for being out sick. Her employer cancelled her health coverage the same day she was fired. We were not told and when she went to an appointment she had the next week for a procedure we had no idea it was not covered. I was under the assumption the employer had to wait 30 days. Do I have any recourse. The bill is quite large and I cannot afford to pay it.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only state that I know of where an employer is required by law to continue an employee's coverage till the end of the month is Texas. In all other states, it is quite legal, and quite common, for a policy to end on the last day of employment. If that's what it says in the plan document, then that's what happens.

She will be eligible for COBRA. The employer has up to 44 days to provide her with the information regarding COBRA; she has 60 days to elect COBRA and 45 days from the day she elects it to submit her first payment. Once the employer has the first check in hand, coverage will be reinstated retroactive to the day of cancellation.

Beth3

I was under the assumption the employer had to wait 30 days. Bad assumption. An employer has no obligation to provide a month's continuing health care coverage after employment ends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">