• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelling Life Insurance Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JdrAjdGjc

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I will be turning 19 on November 26, 2002 and I have health insurance from my estranged father. My parents are divorced and I recently received a letter from him saying that my insurance would be cancelled on November 30, 2002 unless I provided him with the name of the college I will attend, a contact number, and how many credits I'm taking which he would send to the insurance. I do not have a relationship with him, he is not paying anything for my college education, and don’t intend on giving him any of this information. I called the insurance myself, but I couldn’t give them the information without his i.d. number and if I did he would have access to this information in any case. I will find another way to get health insurance, but I found out years ago that he had taken out a life insurance policy on me. I suppose this would be all right to cover funeral bills if I did indeed die, but the amount exceeds what a funeral would cost, he is well off and wouldn’t need the money, and I doubt he would pay for a funeral in any case. Since he will no longer be providing me with health insurance, I see no reason as to why he should have life insurance on me. I know the name of the life insurance company, but this was years ago and it may have changed. I would like to know if I call the insurance company will they tell me if there is a policy on me and if he doesn’t have one is there a way to find out if he has a policy at another company and if it is possible for me to cancel it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Why do you care if someone else, or even your own estranged father, has a life insurance policy on you? So what?

It's not your money that he's paying in premiums, so why does it matter to you?

Besides, if you don't give him the information, he policy will get cancelled. The insurance company will do the job for you.

So, sit back, and start concentrating on your studies. This is one "concern" in life you don't need to be concerned about.

Your schoolwork is THE most important thing. Empty your head of everything else. Do well, get your degree, become a useful part of society, and spit on his grave.

IAAL

P

ProResearch

I am thinking if your estranged dad is "well off" why not try to make some adult amends with him? I know I don't know what all you have gone through with him or his lack of being in your life, and I won't suppose to know. But, he is your biological father, you share his genes...... look at it in a purely biological way if you must. If he dies, and you are in good standing with him, you might share in his being well off.

If you say you don't care, and don't want any money of his, I understand to an extent. You are young and it's the principle. But in the long run, you may gain more than just money. As people age, they *usually* become wiser and become more mellow. Mellow? I am not going to define that lol

And then again...... you could say if he has a life insurance policy on you and pays premiums, ask him if YOU can get one on HIM. He is more likely to die before you than not.

I am kind of "funnee" about life insurance. My father died in 1973 and left my mother and the family a lot of money. We had money for a wonderful funeral plus my mother did not want for anything at least for a while. Again, in 1977, my sister died and she did not have any life insurance and it was soooo sad because we could barely afford to get her flowers.

Is there anyway to try to make amends at least on a functional level?

Just my two centavos!

J

JdrAjdGjc

The health insurance and life insurance are completely separate. I will lose the health insurance because of the college information I will not give up and I believe he still has life insurance. I don't see why he should get money if I die, if he even isn't paying health insurance. I know I'm not getting money if he dies and I wouldn't even want it. It's almost like some stranger being able to get money if I die. Maybe that's the law, but I just want to know if there is a way to find out about any policies and if I have a legal right to cancel them. I'm not estranged from him because I'm a rebellious teenager or because of a petty fight.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">