• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancer forces end to work AND Employer Life Insurance Policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

writeman2006

What is the name of your state? CA

My wife has a life insurance policy through her work, but what if cancer forces her to stop working and she dies months later? Is her life insurance policy then worthless?

Dandy Don

Was she diagnosed with cancer AFTER she had already been approved for the policy?

If she doesn't already have a copy of the actual policy, she needs to get one and read the fine print/every word in the policy to understand what might happen.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is extremely common for life insurance benefits to end when employment does. It's not an individual policy on your wife; it's a group policy in which she can share. If she's no longer employed there, why would she still be entitled to participate in the group benefits?

But Don is correct that only by reading the policy can she get a definite answer.

nextwife

writeman2006 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My wife has a life insurance policy through her work, but what if cancer forces her to stop working and she dies months later? Is her life insurance policy then worthless?
There are both employer paid, and employee paid life insurance. When I left my old empoyer, I lost the employer paid, but could continue the employee paid policy by continuing to pay the premiums. It is three years since I ceased employment there, and I still maintain that policy. As stated, one needs to READ the terms of the coverage.

And, of course, any other non-employer paid life policies continue as long as premium is paid.

If the employee goes on long term disability, the coverage may continue - you need to consult the HR dept.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">