• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot find will or trust.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shifter

What is the name of your state? CA.
My father recently passed away and I cannot find a will or trust. I cannot believe he did not have one. Are trusts registered with the state? How should I proceed? Thank you.

divgradcurl

shifter said:
What is the name of your state? CA.
My father recently passed away and I cannot find a will or trust. I cannot believe he did not have one. Are trusts registered with the state? How should I proceed? Thank you.
Trusts are not registered with the state. You'll need to keep searching, check with your father's lawyer to see if he kept the copies, check if your father has a safe-deposit box, etc. There is no central repository of these documents. If you can't find a will or trust document, you'll need to probate the estate as an intestate estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">