• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot get Insurance after escrow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Buszzbait

What is the name of your state? California
We bought a home in the mountains. Our insurance agent was informed so we would be covered at close of Escrow per Escrow Co. After the close of escrow (march7th, 2002)and paying 1 yr. of insurance in advance our agent informed us in may that we needed roof inspection and certification. I was upset due to the length of time they waited to tell us this. Our real estate agent referred us with a local insurance Co. which we went with and canceled the other Co. The original Co. we used for our homeowners insurance only refunded us 9 months of payment, not the full 12 months we paid. Now after the new Co. accepted us and gladly took our money, 1 1/2 months later they canceled our policy because of the age of the roof. A few phone calls later, I was able to get Insurance through the original Co. although with a different agent. The new agent insured us with a stipulation that I would put a new roof in 6 months. That agent did a search on that policy we thought we had to find out that it was never written with the orignal Co. and we were not Insured at escrow and for the 31/2 months after!My house was built in 1969 with a thick wood shake that shows no sign of leakage or curling. What are my rights to this situation. We are living in our new home and it is almost uninsurable unless we put out a great expence on a new roof right-away, had we known of this problem we would have taken into consideration the cost of the home to begin with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">