• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot modify support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuucann

Hello,

My name is Shamika (California). In 2016 I was granted roughly $1400 monthly in Child Support (CS). My ex took me back to court to modify CS 6 months later (September 2016). I provided a detailed accounting of all income and was found to not have any income going forward. I was on workers comp. and received workers comp benefits, private disability and vacation/sick pay. At the time of the hearing, all sources of income had ceased. On record the judge told my ex's counsel that I provided more than enough to prove my income indeed stopped. The judge repeatedly asked my ex's counsel "what do you want me to do?" He repeated, "treat her like a seasonal worker." She repeatedly said she could not, because I had no more income going forward. When it was time to cross examine my ex, we did not have enough time to finish and the trial was continued a month later, allotting 15 minutes to finish the cross examination of my ex.

Mind you, my cross examination took two full court days, because we went over each bank statement, line by line, for three years, with a fine tooth comb. The judge even read my work emails in my phone to confirm I was telling the truth. The judge told my ex's attorney to come back with a solution as to what she can do at the next hearing.

One month later, we return. She immediately asks counsel, "what do you want me to do?" He repeats, "treat her like a seasonal worker," She says, "No, you know what I'm gong to do. I'm gong to input her proposed expenses as her monthly income. My attorney asked, "why" She repeated, "because I just don't believe her." She granted me $274.00 per month and ignored my spousal support order. She signed off on 0.00 spousal support, even though it was never heard. The judge never wrote a reason for her determination.

The dilemma, each time I attempt to modify CS, I'm told by all judges that my circumstances haven't changed. I claimed "no income" September 2016 and I am still claiming no income. I have drained my retirement and savings. Now I am going to try to refinance my house, because I am broke. I do not know know what to do. I am still unemployed and even the child support agency denied my request for modification even though I applied for welfare.

What can I do?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not understanding any of that. Really. He, She, Who....? Please... explain the situation clearly.

tuucann

My apologies.

In March 2016 I was granted roughly $1400 monthly in Child Support (CS) from Judge A. 6 months later (September 2016), my ex-husband filed to modify the CS order and my ex also requested spousal support (SS). I responded my ex's request, disputing the modification and I also requested Spousal. Mid September our matter was heard by Judge B . I provided a detailed accounting of all my income and assets to the courts.

At this time I was on worker's comp and received disability pay, in addition to vacation/sick pay. However, all sources of income had run out by the end of September and I had no more income coming in, going forward. Judge B asked my ex's attorney what he wanted her to do about my income. My ex's attorney replied, "treat her (meaning me) like a seasonal worker." Judge B replied to my ex's attorney and said, "how can I treat her (meaning me) like a seasonal worker, when there is no evidence to prove that?" My attorney argued "if a litigant does not have any income going forward, you cannot input income on a CS order."..... I think this falls under Berger v Berger, I may be wrong.

My attorney began to cross examine my ex and his income. Judge B stops the examination, about 10 - 15 minutes in and continues the case till the following month. Judge B told my ex's attorney to come back in one month with an idea of how she should determine my income for CS.

Note: We were in trial for two full days going over my income with a fine tooth comb. Judge B went over 14 months of my bank statements, line by line. Judge B also viewed the email exchanges on my phone between my employer and I, regarding the use of my vacation and sick pay. There were no discrepancies in any of my income documents.

In October 2016, we return to court and Judge B immediately asks my ex's attorney "what do you want me to do?", referring to calculating my income. My ex's attorney responds to Judge B by saying, "treat her (meaning me ) like a seasonal worker," Judge B responded to my ex's attorney and said, "No, you know what I'm gong to do... I'm gong to input her income based on her proposed expenses." My attorney asked Judge B, "why, would you input income to my client?" Judge B replied and said on record, "because I just don't believe her." Judge B did not allow my attorney to finish cross examining my ex and she made a judgement.

Judge B granted me $274.00 per month in CS and ignored my request for spousal. My ex's attorney completed the order after hearing and put spousal at $0.00 and Judge B signed it. I did not sign the agreement, so Judge B signed it on my behalf. Judge B never gave a written reason for her determination.

Judge B is no longer in Family Law. Now I have Judge C.

My dilemma, each time I attempt to modify CS, with Judge C or Child Support Services it's denied based on " no change in circumstances." I claimed "no income" on my I&E in September and I have continued to claim "No income" on my I&E. My financial circumstances haven't changed since September 2016. I have used up all of my savings and withdrew my retirement. Now I am going to try to refinance my house, because I am broke. I do not know know what to do.

Any advice?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You could have appealed at the time of the original judgment but apparently you didn't. So you are stuck. You need to find more income/aid in order to survive. Child support is not mean to be income.

tuucann

You could have appealed at the time of the original judgment but apparently you didn't. So you are stuck. You need to find more income/aid in order to survive. Child support is not mean to be income.
1) I didn't know I could appeal
2) I had no idea child support wasn't income, what is it then?

tuucann

Find a way to make money...
Oh, I didn't know this was the solution. If this is the answer to my problem, then child support shouldn't even exist. Judges should tell all women ... "find a way to make money." God forbid a man should help at his earning capacity.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh, I didn't know this was the solution. If this is the answer to my problem, then child support shouldn't even exist. Judges should tell all women ... "find a way to make money." God forbid a man should help at his earning capacity.
Parents (plural) are expected to support their children.
Your earning CAPACITY is not affected by your disability, just your vocational choices. There are plenty of ways to earn money that you can find while still working within your physical limitations.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know that you said you've burned through all available savings and now intend to refinance your house. The bank is not going to do a refi when you have no income because you have no means to repay them. If you have "no income" then how do you plan to survive?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">