• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot Pay Credit Cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4545allen

What is the name of your state? VA

A couple of years I became disabled and unable to work. I now collect Social Security Disability as my sole income. I have two credit cards from Providian and my husband has one. When I became unable to work we were no longer able to pay our credit cards. They were all three sent to collection agencies where we made payment arrangements. Our three accounts have since been sent back to Providian. I wrote a letter explaining our hardship and promised them that I would make a payment, however small, every month. I have not heard anything from them either by phone or mail. I still continue to make payments. Having not heard from them, have they stopped collection efforts? Or does the silence mean something bad? I am very concerned about this because we barely make enough to live on with my doctor bills and medicine bills. We own our home and two cars (one is paid off). I do not want those taken from us as it is all we have left. A garnishment or a freeze of our checking account would destroy us. Further, my husband is a Police Officer and could get in trouble with his job if legal action is taken by Providian. At this time, to our knowledge, we are not in legal trouble with this. How can I prevent legal action by Providian? Bankruptcy is not an option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">