• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot sign up for 401K

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RJV1986

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have worked for my company since December of 2007. We are allowed to sign up for the companies 401K plan once we have worked there for one year and we are 21 years old. I met both those requirements in December 2008. There are two open enrollment periods each year, January and July. I emailed my boss in early december to ask to sign up for the companies 401K plan. She told me to remind her when we got closer to January. Towards the end of December I email her again and this time she told me that I was to late.

I decided to wait until until the next open enrollment. I emailed her in May to reminder her and she again told me to wait until we were closer to July. I emailed her in the middle of June and she told me that I had emailed her to late, again.

The exact same thing happened the next December. I have now missed out on a year and a half of having a 401K. They match our contributions up to 4% of our yearly income. I did the math and they would have matched me around $3000. Is there anything that I can do? I am afraid that it will happen again this July. I feel like they just don't want to match my contribution.

Thanks for your help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I seriously doubt that the a match on the amount you will be contributing will be so arduous that they will deliberately conspire to keep you out of the plan. It sounds more like very poor management to me. However, I would suggest that you contact HR (not your boss); tell them what you have just told us, and let them know that unless you are allowed to sign up for the 401k this time, you will be forced to complain to the US DOL (which is the regulatory agency for 401k's).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">